National Engineering Landmark-Pyrmont BridgePrint Page
A plaque recognises Pyrmont Bridge as a National Engineering Landmark.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
The first Pyrmont Bridge which was opened on 17 March 1858, was a wooden pile bridge with a iron centre swing span. This bridge was demolished around the time new Pyrmont Bridge was opened in 1902.
The foundation stone for the new bridge was laid on 6 December 1899 by the Hon. E. W. O'Sullivan and the bridge was opened for traffic on 28 June 1902 by the Governor of New South Wales, His Excellency Sir Harry Holdsworth Rawson KGB. The engineer was Percy Allan (1861–1930). The bridge had one of the largest swing spans in the world and it was one of the first to be powered by electricity.
|Address:||Pyrmont Bridge, Darling Harbour, 2000|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.870575|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1992|
The Institution of Engineers Australia PYRMONT BRIDGE
THIS BRIDGE, BUILT BETWEEN 1899 AND 1902 , WAS AN ESSENTIAL LINK BETWEEN THE CITY AND THE INNER WESTERN SUBURBS. THE SWING SPAN WAS ONE OF THE LARGEST IN THE WORLD AND THE FIRST TO BE POWERED BY ELECTRICITY. THE APPROACH SPANS REPRESENTED THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF DEVELOPMENT OF THE TIMBER TRUSS. DESIGNED BY PERCY ALLEN WITH ASSISTANCE FROM J.J.C BRADFIELD AND GORDON EDGELL, ITS AUSTRALIAN DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION MADE IT A SOURCE OF PRIDE TO ALL SYDNEYSIDERS
THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS, AUSTRALIA
AND THE DARLING HARBOUR AUTHORITY, 1992.