Launceston Water Supply - ( Val d`Osne Fountain )Print Page
The Val d'Osne fountain was erected to commemorate the opening of Launceston's reticulated water supply. It is a bronze copy of the original and was officially turned on in 1859.
The 7 metre high, 4 basin fountain features statues of Neptune, Galatea, Amphitrite and Asis on the lower tier and 4 sea nymphs holding hands on the upper tier. There are 43 water jets in total. An Historical Engineering Marker which was placed on the fountain in 2007 also commemorates this event.
The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.
|Address:||Elizabeth & Charles Street , Princes Square, Launceston, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.440494|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Michel Li`nard & Mathurin Moreau|
|Monument Manufacturer:||Val d`Osne Foundry , Thomas Wade (Basin)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Wednesday 9th November, 1859|
Historic Engineering Marker Launceston Water Supply
In 1857 Launceston's fledgling municipal council constructed its first reticulated water supply which still serves the city centre. Director of Public Works W. R. Falconer designed the gravity scheme, consisting of a weir, water race and tunnel diverting flow from the St Patricks River into a dam on Distillery Creek. Cast iron pipes delivered the water to brick reservoirs in the town. This fountain was erected to celebrate the opening. By 1860 the town had drinking fountains, fire brigades and work on a sewerage scheme had begun.
The Institution of Engineers Australia
Launceston City Council & EskWater 2007