"Miners Tribute" Print Page
The "Miners Tribute " coal skip display is part of a Lions Club Project which pays tribute to all miners who have lived and worked in the township since coal was discovered by Charles Harper in 1883.
|Address:||Parkes Street, Charles Harper Park, Helensburgh, 2508|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.190008|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 26th April, 1998|
A PROJECT OF
THE LIONS CLUB OF HELENSBURGH INC
The Helensburgh Coal Mine Has Been Part Of
This Town Since 1883
This Display Is To Pay Tribute To All Those
Miners Who Have Worked And Lived In This Township
Since Coal Was Discovered By
Charles Harper In 1883
These Wagons, Known As "Skips" Were Pulled
By "Pit Ponies" Deep Below The Surface.
And Served Many Years In The Mines.
We Thank The Mine Management And Union Members
For Bringing These Relics Of A Bygone Era To
The Surface So They Can Be Displayed Here Today
UNVEILED ON SUNDAY 26 APRIL 1998
MR IAN McMANUS MP
STATE MEMBER FOR BULLI
HERITAGE WEEK 1998