Sugar-Nature`s Sweet GiftPrint Page
A mosaic surrounding the cane farmer statue commemorates one hundred years of the sugar industry in the area.
The first Mulgrave Mill crush of 13,973 tonnes of cane was from October 1896 to March 1897. The rate of 1,500 tonnes in the first month bears little comparison with the current rate of 450 tonnes per hour. The Mill was established under the Sugar Works Guarantee Act where the landholders mortgaged their lands to the government as security against the mill loan. The Mulgrave Tramway was operational for the second season and continues as the efficient mode of transport for cane to this day.
|Address:||Norman Street, Norman Park, Gordonvale, 4865|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -17.092278|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1896|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1995|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 22nd April, 1995|
SUGAR - NATURE'S SWEET GIFT
Celebrating 100 Years Of History
Of The Sugar Industry In This Area.
This Mosaic Was Jointly Funded By : -
The Musgrave Central Mill Co. Ltd
In Their Centenary Year
CSR Sugar Mills Group For Their Contribution
To The Sugar Industry Of Far North Queensland.
The Queensland Government Arts Grant Programme
The Friends Of Gordonvale Assn. Incorporated
Cane Growers Cairns District
" A PROJECT OF THE FRIENDS OF GORDONVALE"
22nd Day Of April 1995