Evans Deakin Print Page
Commemorates the site of the Evans Deakin shipbuilding yards.
Evans Deakin and Company was an Australian engineering company and shipbuilder. Originally based in Brisbane, the company was started in 1910 by Daniel Evans and Arthur Deakin. The company started out as a supplier of engineering equipment. The first workshop was acquired in 1913.
At the start of World War Two, a shipyard was established at Kangaroo Point. The company developed the site so that the construction of military and merchant craft could be completed. The Evans Deakin shipyard constructed 81 ships between 1940 and its closure in 1976, including eleven Bathurst-class corvettes, a Bay class frigate, and several Attack-class patrol boats. They also built trawlers, steamers, bulk carriers, tankers and tugs. The last major expansion at the Kangaroo Point site occurred in 1967 when the Frank Nicklin Dry Dock was constructed.
The company built the largest ship ever made on the Brisbane River, the oil tanker Robert Miller. Its construction was nearly complete when it broke free of its mooring during the 1974 Brisbane flood. The final vessel constructed at Kangaroo Point was the oil rig, Southern Cross in 1976.
|Address:||Holman Street, Kangaroo Point, 4169|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -27.465789|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.