50 years of Public PowerPrint Page
Plaque commemorates 50 years of public power in Darwin.
There was at least one private power station in Darwin prior to 1934, which probably supplied some adjacent properties, but No.1 Power Station commenced generation in what is now Lindsay Street in October 1934.
The installed capacity was 80kW supplied by two 40kW Ruston Hornsby diesel driven alternating generators. No.1 Power Station was operated by the Darwin Town Council until 1937. All Darwin’s electricity was supplied from the Lindsay Street location until the commissioning of No.2 Power Station at Armidale Street in 1940. Darwin’s present gas-ﬁred power station at Channel Island (south of the city on the Middle Arm of the harbour) has an installed capacity of 250,000kW.
|Address:||75 Woods Street, Foyer, Darwin, 0800|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -12.458056|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1984|