www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Georges CentenaryPrint Page Print this page

Georges Centenary : 11-October-2011
Georges Centenary : 11-October-2011

Photographs supplied by Graeme Saunders

Fountain commemorates the centenary of the opening of Georges Department Store in Collins Street by Willie and Harley George in 1880.

As the department store approached its centenary year of 1980, it commissioned sculptor Peter Staughton to undertake a commemorative fountain to mark its hundred years of trading. An agreement was reached between the Fountains Trust of Victoria and the trustees of Scots' Church to locate the fountain close to Georges but on church land, between its assembly hall and place of worship.

Staughton's simple yet beautiful design is tucked into a crease between the buildings. The fountain's large shallow dish is set into a corner formed by two bluestone walls, its water gently flowing over the bowl's lip into the pool below. The City of Melbourne paved the area for the installation. Premier Lindsay Thompson unveiled the fountain in 1981.

Georges Department Store was established in 1880 within Melbourne's CBD, and owners William and Arthur George enjoyed great success as the store became one of Melbourne's elite shopping location. The business continued to grow, and in 1889 the store moved to the "Paris" end of Collins Street, into what is now known as one of the most iconic building in Melbourne. At the height of Melbourne`s Gold Rush years, Georges Department Store was one of the finest places to shop. The stor ceased trading in 1995. 

Location

Address:Collins Street, Between Scots Church & Assembly Hall, Melbourne, 3000
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.814761
Long: 144.968416
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1880
Approx. Event End Date:1980
Monument Designer:Peter Staughton

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:1981
Front Inscription

Presented To The People Of Victoria
               By
Georges Australia Limited
On The Occasion Of
Georges Centenary
    1880 - 1980

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design