The Fisherman Monument Print Page
The sculpture acknowledges the early pioneering days of Western Australia's commercial fishing industry.
In September 1880, the first tins of fish were canned by C Tuckey & Co's Peel Inlet Preserving Works. The first fish canned were sea mullet caught by sieve nets in large quantites in the estuary along the coast. Fishermen were paid seven to eight shillings for each 100 fish delived to the cannery.
|Address:||Mandurah Terrace, Near Jetty, Mandurah, 6210|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.533611|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Mary Knott|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1998|