Newcastle & Suburban Co-Op Society FoundersPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the names of the management at the formation of the Co-operative which was registered on the 8th June 1898. The founding members were F Butler, W.J.Channon, R.Johnson, G. Butterworth, W.H.Milton, A.J.Miller, G.P. Morris, A.W. Markham and J.P.Mclean.
The Newcastle & Suburban Co-operative Society Ltd began in 1898. At its peak it was the biggest and most successful co-operative venture in the whole southern hemisphere. It was known popularly as The Store, and sold basics such as food, clothing, hardware and furniture. The Store also delivered groceries, fruit and vegetables, bread, milk and ice to thousands of Newcastle homes. Tokens were produced by The Store to avoid the delivery and order men having to travel with a lot of cash. The Newcastle & Suburban Co-operative Society's first bakery was opened in 1908. By 1942, the co-op's bakery was the largest in Australia, baking about 62,800 loaves a week. With changing lifestyles and shopping patterns, The Store's operations ended in 1981.
Note: As at 2016 it is believed that this site has been sold and may be redeveloped. It is unknown if the plaque is still located at this address.
|Address:||854 Hunter Street, Newcastle West, 2302|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -32.924849|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.