Electric Lighting CommemorationPrint Page
Plaque commemorates the turning on of electricity on the 23rd January 1924.
The official switching-on ceremony of the Campbelltown Council electric light scheme was enthusiastically celebrated last night. The township was beflagged, and the streets were thronged with visitors from surrounding districts. Although Campbelltown is one of the oldest established towns in the State, the agitation for its electrification is of comparatively recent date. Prior to the installation of the present plant, which cost £10,000, the lighting needs of the town were supplied by kerosene lamps. The plant comprises two crude oil engines, which were installed by the Fairbanks Morse company (Australasia), Ltd., whilst the constructional work was performod by M'Arthur, Burleigh, and Co.
Mr. Garlick (Under-Secretary, Local Government Department) at the invitation of Alderman Hannaford (Mayor of Campbelltown), unveiled a brass tablet outside the powerhouse; and, to the accompaniment of cheers and an enthusiastic applause, Mrs. Hannaford (Mayoress) opened the powerhouse with a gold key, and turned the lever which set the engines in motion. Mr. Garllck complimented the council, and paid a tribute to the energy of the Mayor, who had made personal sacrifices in attending to his civic duties.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 24 January 1924.
|Address:||Cordeaux Street, Former Nepean River County Council Office (old premises) , Campbelltown, 2560|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.066443|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||23-January-1924|