www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Burragorang MinersPrint Page Print this page

Burragorang Miners : 14-June 2014
Burragorang Miners : 14-June 2014

Photographs supplied by Glen Yeomans / Sandra Brown

Monument commemorates the contribution of the people in the coal industry of the Burragorang valley. It is also dedicated to the men who lost their lives in the coal mining and other associated industries in the Burragorang Valley.

With the closing of Brimstone No.1 Colliery in 2000 and when the last shift was worked at Wollondilly Washery on 15th June 2001, the coal-mining era in the Burragorang Valley came to an end. Since the first coal was mined in 1878, when the Nattai Mining Company was established, and more so since the 1930’s, when the Clinton and Fox families pioneered and established their mines, the whole district has been touched in some way by the mining industry.

Location

Address:1605 Burragorang Road, Outside Oakdale Workers Club. , Oakdale, 2570
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.079663
Long: 150.501052
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 7th October, 2000
Front Inscription

BURRAGORANG MINERS

(plaque on top of wheel)
This Plaque is in honour of
the CLINTON & FOX family.
Pioneers of coal mining
in Burragorang Valley

(plaques on wheel)
OLD WOLLONDILLY 1930-1980 
VALLEY 1  1959-1974
NATTAI BULLI  1932-1992 
VALLEY 2 1960-1992
WOLLONDILLY EXTENDED
1935 -1973
NATTAI NORTH 1974 -1988
VALLEY 3  1971 - 1984
OAKDALE 1948-1999
BRIMSTONE 1 1968-2000
WOLLONDILY WASHERY 1960-2001
BRIMSTONE 2 1970 - 1984

(Memorial Plaque)
IN MEMORIUM
This plaque is dedicated
to the men
who lost their lives
in the coal mining and
associated industries in
the Burragorang Valley

(Bottom Plaque)
This monument
commemorates the
contributions of the people
in the coal industry of
Burragorang Valley

 

Left Side Inscription

(plaque on coal bin)
This Miner`s Monument
         Was
Officially Opened
7th October 2000

(plaque )

The Miners would like to
acknowledge the generous
donations which have made
this monument possible.

Brimstone Lodge. Joint Coal Board.
Camden Signs. Macarthur Credit Union.
C.P.E. Tree Services. Nepean Engineering.
Dunbier Transport. Oakdale Workers Club

Right Side Inscription

    In memory of
THE JACK PIPPEN FAMILY,
The First Bus Company
to transport miners
to work in the
Burragorang Valley Mines
during the early 40`s

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design