Helensburgh CoalminerPrint Page
Statue commemorates the town's mining heritage.
In 1883 Cumberland Coal and Iron Mining Company took a ninety nine year lease of 18,000 acres of Government land known as 'Camp Creek '. Coal was found in 1884 on the site where the mine is located today. The opening of the coal mine was responsible for the growth of the village of Helensburgh. The Metropolitan Coal Company of Sydney took over the mine in 1887 and opened in 1888 employing 45 men. This mine was described as the most perfectly arranged mine in Australia because miners were able to walk perfectly erect in contrast to most mines. It was also possible to use horses rather than ponies in the unusually high tunnels. The mine was bought by Australian Iron & Steel, Port Kembla in 1965. This mine has been closed and re-opened on a few occasions.
|Address:||Parkes Street, Outside Post Office, Helensburgh, 2508|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.190606|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Gaye Porter|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 17th May, 2008|
Coal mining heritage of Helensburgh
Helensburgh Coal and United Mine Workers Trust
Sculptor : Gaye Porter
Project Coordinator : Scott James Smith
Supported by : Wollongong City Council
Unveiled by David Farmer
General Manager-Wollongong City Council
17th May 2008