Coal Mining MemorialPrint Page
The Coal skip is a replica erected in 1994 to recognize the contribution underground miners made towards Collie and the State from 1890 to the closure of the underground mines in 1994.
A memorial wall lists the names of all miners killed on the Collie Coalfields.
|Address:||Throssell & Patterson Sts, Phoenix Park , Collie, 6225|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.361303|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1994|
The Collie Coal Womens Association and all members of the Collie Coal Mining Unions recognise the immeasurable contribution of all underground coal miners made towards the future of Collie and the state of Western Australia from 1889 to the closure of the pits in June 1994.
The period 1989-1994 was a period of very significant changes in the Collie coalfields. Almost 1000 jobs were lost in this period as a result of restructuring and shift changes demanded by the respective mining and power generation companies. The closure of the last remaining underground mine (which was more labour intensive) accentuated the change. It took the community almost a decade to recover from these enforced changes which were ostensibly designed to lower the price of energy.
Phoenix Park was given this name because of its association with the mining industry and was one of a number of parks named in this manner in around 1990. Phoenix was an underground mine operated by the Griffin Coal Mining Company just south of the Minninup Pool on the Collie River. It was in close vicinity to the parent mine Griffin and a later mine of the Company-Wyvern.When the Government Geologist Joe Lord discovered the 40 foot seam on Griffins lease at Muja in 1950, he adhered to that companys established policy of naming after Roman and Greek mythological creatures.
Thus the massive seam became known as the Hebe and Lord consequently named all the other seams in the Muja, Premier and Ewington Coal Members (areas) in this manner.