Emerald Railway MemorialPrint Page
Emerald Railway Memorial is dedicated to the men and women who were instrumental in laying the railway tracks to the west and the infrastructure and towns that supported them.
The memorial was unveiled on the 125th anniversary of Emerald in 2004.
|Address:||Capricorn Highway, Railway Station, Emerald, 4720|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -23.526111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 5th December, 2004|
In the 1860s there was a short railway laid out of Rockhampton. It was of very little use to anyone. Consequentially the decision was taken in Parliament to extend that rail westwards. By 1879 it had reached Emerald with the first official train entering Emerald on 26th May 1879.
This was a momentous happening in the history of Emerald and was the beginning of a railway terminus which has grown and prospered.
Emerald officially became a town on the 5th December, 1879 when it was proclaimed by the then governor Sir Arthur Edward Kennedy. It was the terminus of the Central Railway then until the rail quicked snaked westwards.
The railway had been established out of virgin country. There were previously a few rough tracks made by the early settlers and coach companies established to serve a small but growing population. The job of laying down the railway was a lonely, hard, and sometimes fatal undertaking.
The railway bought civilisation to the west establishing most of the small towns which now dot the countryside. Its people were the backbone of Emerald for over a century being involved in the social, cultural and commercial growth of Emerald.
This memorial is dedicated to the memory of the men and women who were instrumental in opening the west by laying the first railway tracks and infrastructure , and establishing the town to support them, and to the countless hundreds who have worked on the railway up until today.
125th Anniversary of Emerald 5th December 2004