Royal Flying Doctor Service MemorialPrint Page
The memorial commemorates the establishment of the first Flying Doctor Base in the world.
On 9 September 1928 the Aerial Medical Service was established at Cloncurry. The site was chosen because the area was made up of scattered settlers and small townships, while Cloncurry had a well equipped aerodrome, a basic telegraph and telephone and a 40 bed hospital; with a resident Medical Officer. Dr. K. St Vincent Welch was appointed as the first flying doctor. A single engine DH50 was chartered from QANTAS, modified to carry a stretcher. QANTAS also assigned a pilot, Arthur Affleck to the service. In 1941 the name was changed to the Flying Doctor Service and in 1955 it was granted the prefix Royal. There are now 14 bases and 29000 outposts across Australia realizing Flynn's dream of "A mantle of safety over the inland."
|Address:||Daintree & King Streets, John Flynn Place, Cloncurry, 4824|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.704261|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||April-1967|
THE ROYAL FLYING DOCTOR SERVICE OF AUSTRALIA
TO COMMEMORATE THE ESTABLISHMENT AT CLONCURRY
OF THE FIRST FLYING DOCTOR BASE IN THE WORLD
RIGHT REV DR JOHN FLYNN O.B.E., D.D
("FLYNN OF THE INLAND")
ONE MAN, AND ONE ALONE, PERCEIVED THE WAY".