Gold Discovery MonumentPrint Page
The Monument commemorates the gold discovery by Jupiter Mosman, Hugh Mosman, Fraser and Clarke in 1871.
In December 1871, at a spot near the gap in Towers Hill, Hugh Mosman, James Fraser, George Clarke and Jupiter Mosman - who is unofficially credited with the first discovery -uncovered what was to become one of Australia`s premier gold fields. In January they registered claims and the rush which established Charters Towers began.
|Address:||Hackett Terrace & Gregory Development Road, Centenary Park, Charters Towers, 4820|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -20.066389|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||December-1871|
|Actual Event End Date:||December-1871|
|Monument Designer:||Henry Weare (concept) Tom Wyatt (Designer) / Hugh Anderson (sculptor)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Thursday 26th January, 1989|
Gold Discovery Monument
This monument depicts the discovery of gold in Charters Towers in December 1871, by a party of prospectors comprising Hugh Mosman, George Clarke, John Fraser, and a young Aboriginal boy, Jupiter Mossman.
Local folklore recalls the find by Jupiter while searching for the party`s packhouses which had been frightened by lightning.
Within months, thousands of miners and their families flocked to Charters Towers to seek their fortunes in the rich goldfields.
To cater for the needs of the workers, the Towers became a complete township, boasting an impressive range of businesses, industries, educational facilities, sporting and social amenities. Little wonder that locals proudly referred to Charters Towers as "The World".
Charters Towers continued to prosper from its gold wealth, having a peak production year in 1899, winning 319572 ounces of gold.
From the 1920`s, with the gold deposits exhausted or unable to be reached with the conventional methods of the day, the Towers looked to the cattle industry for survival.
Today, on Australia Day 1989, Charters Towers is again experiencing prosperity from gold mining in that area, thanks to improvement in mining technology.
This Commemorative Project was the major undertaking by the Charters Towers & Dalrymple Bicentennial Community Commitee.
Concept - Henry Weare
Design - Tom Wyatt
Sculptor - Hugh Anderson
Construction - Charters Towers City Council.
This monument was officially dedicated by the Hon. RC (Bob) Katter (Snr.) MHR,
Member for Kennedy on 26 January 1989