Burdekin BridgePrint Page
A plaque commemorates the 50th anniversary of the construction of the bridge which began in 1957.
The new Burdekin Bridge was opened on 15 June 1957, after 10 years of construction and $6 million. The Engineers were Harry Lowe, Noel Ullman and Bill Hansen. The structure was made of 42,000 cubic yards of concrete and 10,000 tons of steel. 235 people were employed during construction but they observed none of today`s strict safety standards and worked without both hard hats and safety harnesses and sometimes in bare feet. Fortunately no lives were lost.
|Address:||Bruce Highway, Burdekin Bridge, Ayr, 4807|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -19.637771|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||15-June-1957|
|Approx. Event End Date:||15-June-2007|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||June-2007|