Gold DiscoveryPrint Page
A monument commemorates the first gold discovery at Pine Creek by Wentworth Darcy Uhr in 1872.
Uhr maintained his interest in both gold and cattle. He was at Coolgardie in 1894, too late for the gold rush but in time to form the D'Arcy Uhr Goldmining Co. He settled down to become a popular pillar of Coolgardie society.
The gold mining industry at Pine Creek was slow to develop, even though good alluvial gold had been located at Yam Creek, Cullen River and Gandy's Gully as early as 1871. The first major reef was discovered in 1872 and named the Priscilla. Since that time many small workings were developed, mostly by Chinese workers under tribute to European owners.
Gold production declined during the 1890s but there were still twenty-seven stamp batteries at fifteen mines in the area. By 1907 most of the gold mining was replaced by tin and wolfram. By 1915 about 75,000 ounces of gold had been recovered from the area.
|Address:||Main Terrace, Pine Creek, 0847|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -13.819972|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1872|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1872|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1974|
This stone commemorates Pine Creek gold rush, 1872 - 74
First payable gold found, Grove Hill, by H. Roberts, July, 1872 and at Pine Creek, by W. Darcy Uhr, Oct. 1872. Rich Eleanor Reef found by J. Lewis, average yield, Union and other reefs, 10 to 80 ounces to the ton.
Pine Creek field produced over $4 million worth of gold.
Erected in honour of all Northern Territory mining pioneers