West Coast RoadPrint Page
Monument commemorates the opening of the West Coast road between Hobart and Queenstown in 1932.
The people of Queenstown, and of the West Coast generally intend to make tomorrow a red-letter day in their calendar. After many years of comparative isolation from the two chief centres of the state, a highway has been built connecting Hobart with Queenstown, and tomorrow the Lieutenant-Governor (Sir Herbert Nicholls) will perform the opening ceremony. This is to take place near the King River bridge, where the new road joins the one previously built from Queenstown. A feature of the ceremony tomorrow will be the unveiling of a memorial obelisk erected at the end of the new construction. This has attached to it a large copper plaque, about eight feet square, presented by the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company, and it will provide a striking permanent memorial of an event of rich historical interest.
Examiner (Launceston) 18th November 1932
|Address:||Lyell Highway, Between Queenstown & Derwent Bridge, Queenstown, 7467|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -42.211111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 19th November, 1932|