Polish Ex-servicemen`s MemorialPrint Page
A cairn commemorates Polish ex-servicemen who migrated to Australia and worked on Hydro Electricity Commission (HEC) projects.
After Poland was invaded by Germany, thousands of Poles joined the Polish government in exile in Britain. From there they were sent to serve in the Middle East with the British Army. In August-September 1941, the Polish Carputhian Brigade relieved the Australian Infantry Brigade at Tobruk. The first Polish Ex-servicemen, 280 men in uniform, to arrive in Tasmania to work for the HEC, were sponsored by the Rats of Tobruk Association, and participated in HEC projects between 1947 and 1985. Over the years about 2000 Poles worked for the HEC. In 1947 a quarter of the workforce were Poles.
|Address:||Reatta Road, Trevallyn Dam, Recreation Park, Trevallyn, 7250|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -41.44757|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1947|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1985|
|Monument Designer:||Dick Frelek|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1986|
Erected to commemorate the contribution made by the Polish Ex-servicemen working on these projects