Nornalup Railway SidingPrint Page
Commemorative plaque to mark site of Nornalup Station which was located at the end of the railway line from Denmark.
Work on the Denmark to Nornalup line commenced in 1926, employed 300 men and took nearly 3 years to complete. Even though the distance between Nornalup and Denmark was only 34 miles, the country was rugged and presented many engineering problems. At the time of opening, the line serviced 900 people on 15 group settlements along the line. The railway played a central role in the lives of the group settlers. Two trains a week ran, which serviced passengers, collected farm produce and delivered goods and supplies. Railway trucks even brought cattle for the settlers’ farms. The Denmark to Nornalup Railway Line was closed, on economic grounds, on the 30th September 1957, despite protests from Denmark residents.
|Address:||South Coast Highway, Nornalup, 6333|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.991944|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1929|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1957|