Goldfields Water Supply MonumentPrint Page Print this page

Water Supply Monument
Water Supply Monument

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

Monument commemorates the 60th Anniversary of the goldfields water supply.

In 1903 the first water was pumped from Perth to Kalgoorlie, 600 kilometres east, along the newly built Coolgardie Water Supply pipeline. The pipeline was the vision of Charles Yelverton O`Connor, Chief Engineer of Western Australia from 1891 to 1902, who managed what many people considered was the impossible, to pump 22,700 cubic metres of water from the plentiful supplies of Mundaring Weir (East of Perth), lifting it 355 metres with only eight pumping stations, and delivering it to the dry goldfield towns 600 kilometres away. This major engineering feat was treated with much scepticism by the press and politicians of the day whose unprecedented criticism of the project drove O`Connor to suicide a year before the pipeline became operational.


Address:Goldfields Highway, Mt Charlotte Reservoir, Kalgoorlie, 6430
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.738333
Long: 121.478611
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Approx. Event Start Date:1903
Approx. Event End Date:963


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Thursday 24th January, 1963
Front Inscription

Goldfields Water Supply Scheme.
This plaque was unveiled by
The Hon. David Brand, M.L.A.,
Premier of Western Australia
24th January 1963
To commemorate the 60th anniversary
of the official opening of the scheme

at Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie by the
Rt.Hon. Sir John Forrest, P.C., G.C.M.G, L.L.D., M.P.,
Minister for Defence
The scheme was constructed 1896 - 1903
Under the direction of

C. Y. O`Conner, Esq., C.M.G., M. Inst. C.E.,
Engineer-in-chief of Western Australia
1891 to 1902.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design