Coal Machinery Memorial -Ruston BucyrusPrint Page
Ruston Bucyrus commemorates the coal industry in Collie.
World War Two brought a sense of greater urgency to coal production and a simultaneous shortage of labour. The development of larger equipment meant that open cut mining was recognised as a viable alternative to underground methods, because open cut mining was less labour intensive. The Stockton open cut commenced in 1943, using mechanical shovels and trucks which were, however, very small by today`s standards. A single dragline was used on the coalfield for some years, but did not have the reach to cope with the deeper excavations dictated by the thick, unproductive overburdens. This machine now sits at Griffin`s Muja Mine entrance, as a forlorn reminder of our past. In the history of the Collie coalfield there have been 12 underground mines and 18 open cuts. The last underground mines were closed in 1994.
|Address:||Throssell & Atkinson Streets, Railway Museum, Collie, 6225|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.358333|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.