Pillar BoxPrint Page
The Pillar Box is a memorial to early postal services and the men who carried the mail.
In 1830, John Butler selected land in the Swan River Colony, including much of what subsequently became Peppermint Grove and Claremont. He developed a farm there and the area became known as Butler`s Swamp. Initially the development of Claremont was from the farming activities undertaken by Butler and the fact that the area was a half way point between Perth and Fremantle. A tree, on the Perth to Fremantle Road (now Stirling Highway), marked the half way spot and was the site for the transfer of mail between Perth and Fremantle before the establishment of the Perth to Fremantle railway line in 1881. A cast iron pillar [posting] box dated 1868 still marks the half way spot on Stirling Highway
|Address:||256 Stirling Highway , Claremont, 6010|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.9825|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1984|
ON THIS SPOT STOOD THE HALFWAY TREE AT WHICH MAILMEN FROM PERTH AND FREMANTLE MET AND EXCHANGED THEIR MAILS FROM THE EARLIEST DAYS OF THE COLONY UP TO 1857