Automated Telephone Service & Overland Telegraph LinePrint Page
A cairn commemorates the connection of an automated telephone service as well as recognising the achievements of the men who worked on the Overland Telegraph Line and the `ships of the desert` who carried supplies.
About 60 people, a string of enquiring camels, several dogs and a road train on its way to Whyalla listened to the South Australian manager of telecom explain the benefits the telephone would bring to local residents. The telephone is part of the $1.6 m digital radio concentrator system that will provide about 45 telephones to 400 residents over a 600 square kilometre area. The system relies on microwaves and solar powered radio repeaters. The plaque, on a rock a cement cairn, also pays tribute to the communicators of the past-camels and the Overland telegraph.
The Age (Melbourne), 17 June 1987.
|Address:||Oodnadatta Track, Near Public Telephone, William Creek, 5710|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -28.906879|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Monday 15th June, 1987|
This plaque was unveiled by Mr John Huston State Manager, S.A./N.T. Telecom Australia, 15 June, 1987.
To commemorate the connection by way of the Digital Radio Concentrator System of an automatic telephone service to William Creek and the surrounding districts.
It also stands in recognition of the achievements of the men who built the Overland Telegraph Line (1870- 1872) and the Ships of the Desert - the many camels - who faithfully carried supplies, including Oppenheimer Telegraph poles, up and down the line. Their descendents today roam free throughout this region.