Portland CementPrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Bryan Cole

Monument commemorates the first Portland cement made in Australia. 

William Lewis, born in Wales in 1835, migrated to South Australia at the age of 21. As a lime-burner he tramped the nearby hills in search of raw materials which were abundant as the Brighton Series were part of precambrian limestone formations.

He began cement-making experiments in 1882 and formed a syndicate to produce the first portland cement in Australia. Half a century earlier in England the invention of Portland cement had transformed the building industry and South Australia was importing about 8000 tons per annum in 1882.


Address:Ocean Boulevard & Scholefield Road, Seacliff, 5049
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -35.037942
Long: 138.524463
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Approx. Event Start Date:1882
Monument Designer:John Beswick


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Tuesday 31st July, 1984
Front Inscription

Near this place a syndicate led by William Lewis established a cement works in 1882 which produced the first portland cement made in Australia. The South Australian Portland Co.Ltd. grew out of this enterprise eventually becoming merged in Adelaide Brighton cement Ltd

This monument takes the form of crystals of calcite, the principal mineral in limestone

Plaque :

Unveiled on 31 July 1984 by Hon. R. K. Abbott M.P. Minister for Transport at the completion of the duplication of Ocean Boulevard

M. J. Knight Commissioner of Highways South Australia

E. W. Schroder, A.O. Managing Director Adelaide Brighton Cement Ltd.


Source: MA,NRUM
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design