Lighthouse MonumentPrint Page
A monument marks the site of the first lighthouse in South Australia made in 1858. The original MacDonnell Lighthouse was built in 1858 and commenced operation in early 1859. The original light had three faces - white, red and green - which it exhibited in succession. The site was narrow and quite exposed with the buildings being built too close to the cliff edge.
Therefore, this light survived only 23 years, due to the danger of its collapse from the cliff on which it stood being undermined by wind and sea. After the new Cape Northumberland Lighthouse was built in 1882 on a hill 400 metres to the east, the MacDonnell Lighthouse was demolished.
|Address:||Lighthouse Road, Cape Northumberland, Port MacDonnell, 5291|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -38.060677|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1858|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1858|