Drainage ConstructionPrint Page
A cairn and machinery commemorate the commencement of drainage construction in the Millicent District in 1863.
The South East Region of South Australia is a highly modified landscape. Broad-scale land clearance and an extensive cross-catchment drainage system have converted what was once a wetland dominated landscape into agricultural production on a vast scale.
There is a long history of drainage in the South East. The first drains in the lower South East commenced in 1863 and the majority were constructed between 1949-1972 largely to remove waterlogging to maintain the region’s productivity and improve accessibility.
|Address:||Southern Ports Highway, 2.6 kilometres west of Rendelsham, Rendelsham, 5280|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.551415|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1863|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 20th April, 1986|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1985|
This cairn commemorates the commencement of 1863, of drainage construction in the Millicent District.
Erected by the Millicent Rotary Club
Officially unveiled by the Hon. J. D. Corcoran A.O. former Premier of South Australia
20th April 1986.