Map the MinerPrint Page
Map the Miner is a monument to the contributions of the Cornish miners in the Kapunda and in other mines in South Australia. The statue was named Map Kernow, being the Cornish dialect for `Son of Cornwall`. The statue originally unveiled in 1988 was destroyed by fire in 2006. Fortunately the statue was insured and the original artist—Ben van Zetten with help from artist Lawry Love Grima —agreed to rebuild the work. The new statue was rededicated on the site of the old on 3 June 2007, just over a year after the original was destroyed
The Kapunda mine, established in 1844, was the first successful metal mine in Australia and contributed greatly to the economic development of South Australia. Up to its closure in 1878 ore to the value of more than £1 million was produced and up to 340 men and boys, mainly from Cornwall were employed.
|Address:||Adelaide Road, Kapunda, 5373|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.352102|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Ben van Zetten (designer & Artist) Lawry Love Grima (artist)|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd June, 2007|