www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Corny Point Lighthouse Keepers & Mechanics Print Page Print this page

The Lighthouse Keepers and Mechanics plaque commemorates a century of service.

Completed in 1882, the Corny Point lightstation is located on the northernmost point of the "foot" of the Yorke Peninsula. The lighthouse was originally built to afford protection to the grain ships servicing Port Victoria, Moonta Bay and Wallaroo in the Spencer Gulf. The light was transferred to the control of the new Commonwealth Government in 1917. The light was made automatic in 1920, the keepers were withdrawn and the cottages and store were demolished.

Location

Address:Lighthouse Road, Corny Point, 5575
State:SA
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.896947
Long: 137.011064
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1882
Approx. Event End Date:1982

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Monday 1st March, 1982
Front Inscription

 Department Of Transport Australia
CORNY POINT LIGHTHOUSE

The lighthouse was completed and the kerosene light was first lit on 1st of March 1882. It was attended by lightkeepers until 1920 when the light was converted to automatic acetylene, and in 1978 converted to electrical operation. The range of the light is 32 km. 

This plaque commemorates a century of service to shipping and it is placed here in tribute to those lightkeepers and mechanics whose work in maintaining this lighthouse has ensured the safety of lives at sea

Unveiled by Mr A Borkus Regional Engineer for Marine Navigational Aids in South Australia and the Northern Territory on this 1st of March 1982.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design