www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Gold MemorialPrint Page Print this page

24-November-2015
24-November-2015

Photographs supplied by Neil Follett

A monument commemorates the discovery of gold in Warrandyte. The monument was restored in 1969. 

In 1851 a reward was offered for a significant gold discovery in Victoria.  Louis Michel and William Haberlain found grains of alluvial gold at this spot and in a few weeks 300 miners were panning gold along Anderson Creek.

Dr Ethel Osborne formed the Warrandyte Advancement Association during the 1930`s depression, and initiated works to provide local employment. They constructed this monument. 

In the bed of Anderson`s Creek, Warrendyte, a memorial to the first discovery of gold in Victoria by Louis John Michel and party was unveiled on Saturday afternoon by Mr. C. R. Long, of the Historical Society of Victoria. A reward of 1,000 offered by the government of Victoria was awarded to Louis J. Michel, who first found gold in Anderson's Creek at the spot where the memorial has been erected.  With Michel were William Habberlin, James Furnival, James Melville, James Headon and Benjamin Greening.
Border Watch (Mt. Gambier, S.A.), 14 November 1935. 

Location

Address:Gold Memorial Road, Fourth Hill, Warrandyte State Park, Warrandyte, 3113
State:VIC
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -37.757828
Long: 145.227393
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:June-1851
Approx. Event End Date:June-1851

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 9th November, 1935
Front Inscription

GOLD FOUND HERE 1851
              BY
LOUIS J. MICHEL AND PARTY

Rewarded By Government
As Discoverers Of
First Gold Field In Victoria.

Erected 1935
Restored Doncaster - Templestowe Jaycees , 1969

Source: MA,RUMV,VMR
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design