Centenary of Water SupplyPrint Page
A monument commemorates the centenary of Stawell's water supply system as designed by John D'Alton.
|Address:||Big Hill Road, Stawell, 3380|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.053605|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1875|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1975|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 15th November, 1975|
Town of Stawell.
Erected to commemorate the centenary of Stawell`s water supply system as designed by John D`Alton.
His scheme included the diversion of water from Fyans Creek in the Grampians to Stawell, a distance of 35 km and involved the construction of timber fluming & mountain tunnel & 300 mm pipeline. 100 years later the principle of the scheme remains the same.
Work commenced February 1875, and was completed December 1881.
Unveiled by Hon. F.S. Granter MLC
Minister of Water Supply on November 15th 1975.
Cr M.K. Hallam, JP Mayor