Gold DiscoveryPrint Page
Obelisk with lamp commemorates the discovery of gold near this site.
Rutherglen is in the Wahgunyah pastoral run taken up by John Foord in 1841. In 1860 the Wahgunyah Rush township grew among a gold field discovered about ten kilometres to the south-east. A hotel proprietor, John Wallace, brought a hotel building to the goldfield and the growing township was named after his Scottish birthplace, Rutherglen.
Within a year it was estimated that the population of the Rutherglen gold diggings was upwards of 10,000. A school was opened opposite Wallace`s Star Hotel in October, 1860, along with Catholic, Presbyterian and Congregational churches. By 1862 the easily won gold was petering out and by 1864 there were fewer than 800 miners
|Address:||Murray Valley Highway & Drummond Street, Rutherglen, 3685|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.052256|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||September-1860|
|Approx. Event End Date:||September-1860|
Rutherglen goldfield discovered near this cairn