Red Gum Memorial ArchwayPrint Page
The Memorial Archway was originally erected for the visit of the Colonial Governor, Sir Henry Brougham Loch. It symbolises the importance of the local redgum industry in Echuca, which supplied piles used in the construction of wharves in Geelong and Williamstown, sleepers for the railways, and export timber for use in India and other British colonies.
The Red Gum Memorial is a tangible reminder of the redgum pioneer, James Mackintosh, and his Echuca and Moama Redgum Sawmill Company which was once responsible for the employment of over 500 people. He was a prominent local citizen, being a Borough Councillor and Mayor, and an elder of the Presbyterian Church.
The Memorial Arch is registed by the Heritage Council of Victoria.
|Address:||Scenic Drive, Victoria Park, Echuca, 3564|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -36.1163|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||September-1884|
|Approx. Event End Date:||September-1884|
The James Mackintosh Red Gum Trophy
Presented On The Occasion Of Governor Sir H.B. Loch`s Visit September 1884
RED GUM ARCH
In 1884 Sir H.B. Loch, Governor of Victoria, visted Echuca to open the "Grand National Show" at Echuca South Showgrounds, organized by the newly formed A.& P. Society. It was a gala occasion and after a huge welcome at the station, the Governor's party in 54 horse-drawn vehicles drove through the decorated streets and crossed the new bridge.
James Mackintosh, leading Echuca sawmiller, donated this red gum arch, first erected near the corner of High & Heygarth Streets, It was held together with wooden pegs but when later moved to Victoria Park, these were replaced with tie rods to ensure its stability.
By 1948 the arch was unstable and demolition contempated but a group of volunteers held working bees and repaired the structure, After another 60 years it again showed signs of wear and was repaired by the Shire of Campaspe & Heritage Victoria in 2012.
Redgum Memorial Arch
is registered by the
Heritage Council of Victoria
Erected in 1884 by James Mackintosh, owner of the local sawmill, for the visit of the Governor Sir H B Loch, this is the only known example in Victoria of a 19th century ceremonial arch, a type usually intended to be temporary.
Victorian Register Heritage Number H1092