Electric TramwayPrint Page
Commemorates the site of the terminus of the first electric tramway to Doncaster which was the first tramway in the Southern Hemisphere.
From October 1889 until January 1896, an electric tram ran between the Box Hill Post Office, on the corner of Whitehorse Road and Station Street, and a terminus near the intersection of Elgar and Doncaster Roads, Doncaster. It was the first electric tram in Australia, and the southern hemisphere, to operate as a regular service.
|Address:||Whitehorse Road & Station Street, Old Box Hill Post Office wall, Box Hill, 3128|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -37.817812|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1889|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1896|
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||1940|
This tablet was erected by the Box Hill City Council to mark the terminus of the first Electric Tramway route in the Southern Hemisphere. During the years 1889-1896 an electric tram ran between here and Doncaster. Erected 1940.
The above plaque was relocated to this position on the occasion of the Centenary of the Box Hill - Doncaster Electric Tramway 14 October 1989.