Coal Mining MemorialPrint Page
A sculpture commemorates the men and women who have worked in the industry since 1849.
In 1849 James Shoobert opened the first coal mine in the Illawarra at Mount Keira. From this point on coal mining began to develop as the major primary industry of northern Illawarra. The developing coal industry had a major impact on the trade at Wollongong Harbour. Coal was carted from the mines to Wollongong Harbour for export.
|Address:||41 Burelli Street, City Council Chambers, Wollongong, 2500|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.426667|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Liz Johnson|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 29th July, 1995|
COAL MINING MEMORIAL
ARTIST: LIS JOHNSON
OFFICIALLY UNVEILED ON 29 JULY 1995
"This memorial pays tribute to the courage, struggle, sacrifice and camaderie that are the hallmarks of Wollongong`s mining community. It recognises and honours the debt of gratitude owed by the City to the men and women who have worked in the mining industry since its inception in 1849."
COAL MINING MEMORIAL.
Officially unveiled by Lord Mayor, David Campbell Premier of NSW Hon Bob Carr Retired Mineworker - Fred Kirkwood Southern district Mining Women’s Auxiliary - Julie Hodgson Mineworker - Peter May On Saturday 29 July 1995