Fisk MemorialPrint Page
The Memorial commemorates the inaugural wireless message from Britain to Australia.
The first direct wireless message from Prime Minister W. M Hughes commenting on the valour of Australian troops at Amiens, sent under the direction of the Marchese Marconi, from the Marconi Wireless Station, Carnarvon, Wales, was received by E.T. Fisk in the experimental wireless station he hadat this residence.
Ernest Fisk was the managing director of Amalgamated Wireless (Australasia) Ltd, and the station was constructed at his house by AWA technicians for the occasion.
A monument in commemoration of the first direct wireless message to be sent from England to Australia was unveiled on Saturday last at Wahroonga by Mr. E. T. Fisk, whose research and experimental work in the year 1918 led to a wireless message, sent by the Marconi station at Carnarvon, Wales, being received in Sydney. The memorial has been erected in front of the actual house in which the message was received, and in which Mr. Fisk then lived at Wahroonga, and a full description, together with a photograph, of it appeared in the last issue of the "Sydney Mail." The Right Hon. W. M. Hughes, then Prime Minister of Australia, was the sender of that historic message, and it was only right, therefore, that he should be present on Saturday and address the gathering at the memorial. Mr. E. T. Fisk, in unveiling the memorial, described in interesting fashion the early experiments, which in the end had brought wireless to a practical result in Australia, and a speech by the Marchese Marconi, delivered in Paris, was also broadcast. It may be noted, as an interesting addendum, that that first message to Australia, in which Mr. Hughes referred to the valorous deeds of the Australians at Amiens, has been engraved upon the memorial.
Sydney Mail (NSW), 18 December 1935.
|Address:||Stuart & Cleveland Streets, Wahroonga, 2076|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -33.715833|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Event STart Date:||22-September-1918|
|Actual Event End Date:||22- September-1918|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 14th December, 1935|