Mitchell`s Mill Steam EnginePrint Page
A steam engine commemorates the former employees of Mitchell Bros Sawmilling Company.
The Mitchell timber mill was constructed in the early 1900s in the centre of town opposite the harbour. The mill was a major supplier of timber throughout New South Wales and a large employer of local people. In 1939 bushfires burnt down the mill but it was reconstructed and the Mitchell steam engine introduced, which continued to operate until 1973. Mr Ted Walker, a longtime member of the Milton-Ulladulla Rotary Club, persuaded the Council to retain the steam engine when the mill closed.
|Address:||Princes Highway, Civic Centre Grounds, Ulladulla, 2539|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.356111|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 19th April, 1987|
The Mitchell`s Mill
THE DEDICATION OF THIS PROJECT
BY THE ROTARY CLUB OF MILTON ULLADULLA
IS TO THE PAST EMPLOYEES OF
THE MITCHELL BROS, SAWMILLING CO.
DECLARED OPEN ON 19TH APRIL 1987
BY MR JACK MYERS,
AN EMPLOYEE ENGINE DRIVER & FIREMAN OF THE CO.
FROM JANUARY 1937 TO DECEMBER 1973.
The Mill closed in 1974