www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Australian Public Electricity SupplyPrint Page Print this page

Australian Public Electricity Supply Monument
Australian Public Electricity Supply Monument

Photographs supplied by Diane Watson

The monument was erected to commemorate the 50th anniversary of public electricity supply in Australia which began in Tamworth. The monument was refurbished in 1988 and a plaque added to the memorial to commemorate its centenary year. 

During the 1880s Alderman W.J. Smith persistently battled to replace gas with electrical street lighting, He was such an enthusiastic advocate of electricity that he named one of his sons Faraday, In 1887, Smith won his battle and the plant was completed in 1888, and the Mayoress, Mrs Piper "switched on" thirteen miles of street lights, the first public supply of electricity in Australia and the southern hemisphere.

Arrangements for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of public electricity supply in Australia, which commenced at Tamworth on November 8, 1888, are now in an advanced stage. The date fixed is Saturday, November 5, and the programme will commence with a civic reception to visitors.  At 4 o'clock an illuminated commemorative column, erected in front of the electric power station, will be unveiled by the Minister for Works and Local Government, Mr. E. S. Spooner, and at 8 p.m., Mr. F. A. Chaffey, M.L.A., will officially open an electrical exhibition in the town hall. Streets and public places will be decorated with flags and bunting and festoons of colored light.
Dungog Chronicle : Durham and Gloucester Advertiser (NSW), 
18 October 1938.

Location

Address:248 Armidale Road, Power House Motor Inn, Tamworth, 2340
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -31.098399
Long: 150.940249
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event STart Date:08-November-1888
Actual Event End Date:08-November-1938

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 5th November, 1938
Front Inscription

Plaque: 
                           1888-1938 
Erected By Tamworth Municipal Council To Commemorate The
50th ANNIVERSARY OF PUBLIC ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
                 —  IN AUSTRALIA —
Which Commenced At Tamworth On 8 November 1888.


Plaque: 
         TAMWORTH
FIRST TOWN IN AUSTRALIA
                  TO
INTRODUCE ELECTRIC STREET LIGHTING

         By Means Of 
Two 18KW Steam Driven Crompton Dynamos
    Electricity Was Supplied 
      To 52 Street Lights
Using 140 Incandescent Lamps
And Seven Crompton Carbon Arc Lights


Plaque: 
                               1888 - 1988
Refurbished By The Peel -Cunningham County Council Tamworth


   CENTENARY OF PUBLIC ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
                    — IN AUSTRALIA —




 

Source: H,MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design