Burragorang Valley Miners MemorialPrint Page
Memorial to the miners of the Burragorang Valley.
Since the first coal was mined in 1878, when the Nattai Mining Company was established, and more so since the 1930’s, when the Clinton and Fox families pioneered and established their mines, the whole district has been touched in some way by the mining industry. With the closing of Brimstone No.1 Colliery in 2000 and when the last shift was worked at Wollondilly Washery on 15th June 2001, the coal-mining era in the Burragorang Valley ended.
|Address:||Burragorang Road, Burragorang Lookout, Nattai, 2570|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.068834|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
The majestic cliffs rimming this valley stand silent sentinel of respect to those families who lived out their lives beneath their shadow as keepers of the soil, before their valley was flooded in 1958. The same cliffs carved and etched by the long hands of time are a fitting monument to the miners of silver-lead at Yerranderie and the miners of the coal beds beneath these ramparts who toiled and gave their lives dedicated to a worthy cause.