Mount Kembla Colliery MonumentPrint Page
Mount Kembla Colliery Monument commemorates all the men and boys who worked in the Mount Kembla Colliery during its period of operation from 1881 to 1970. The monument is constructed to give the appearance of an underground coal mine.
The Mount Kembla Colliery was established in 1883, and the purpose-built township was constructed by the company to house the employees. The community thrived until late-1970 when the mine closed and the town went into decline, losing its general store, post office, Presbyterian church, tennis courts and public telephones during the following years.
The Mount Kembla Mine disaster was the worst peace-time disaster of Australia's history, until the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria. It occurred at the colliery adjacent to the village at 2pm on 31 July 1902. The explosion was caused by ignition of gas and coal dust by flames used as torches by the miners. 96 workers were killed by the explosion. Hundreds of people helped in the rescue of survivors.
|Address:||Cordeaux Road, Mount Kembla Anglican Church, Mount Kembla, 2526|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.432378|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1881|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1970|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st November, 1970|