Centenary of the First Iron SmeltingPrint Page
A plaque erected in 1948 records the 1874 gift of land on which the church stands by the Fitzroy Bessemer Hematite Iron and Coal Company, and the centenary of the first iron smelting in Australia.
|Address:||Main Street (Old Hume Highway) & Station Street, St Stephens Anglican Church , Mittagong, 2575|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -34.451283|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Event Start Date:||1848|
|Approx. Event End Date:||1948|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Sunday 3rd October, 1948|
This Tablet Was Dedicated By The Very Reverend S. Barton Babbage, M.A., Ph. D. Dean Of Sydney, On Sunday, October The 3rd, 1948.
Is Placed Here To Record The Gift By The Fitzroy Bessemer Hematite Iron And Coal Co. Ltd.
In 1874 Of One Acre Of Land On Which This Present Church Of St Stephen Stands.
Also To Commemorate The Centenary Of The First Iron Smelting Works In Australia.