Dress Circle EstatePrint Page Print this page


Photographs supplied by Peter F Williams

Fountain commemorates the development of 500 home sites and the construction of 250 homes. The fountain is no longer functioning. 

On 1 October 1960 the Mayor of Ryde, Alderman ELS Hall, unveiled a drinking fountain and plaque in the reserve outside the shopping centre, commemorating the successful development of 500 home sites and the construction of 250 modern homes on the Dress Circle Estate.

In the building booms of the late 1950s, Hooker Rex Pty Ltd proposed redeveloping the Dress Circle Estate. Until 1956 there had been a sewerage dump just beyond the north-western end of the estate. The council therefore said that the area could not be built on for 50 years. Hooker Rex overcame this by bringing in bulldozers and removing all of the contaminated soil. In addition they covered the exposed clay with a five-metre layer of clean soil. Hooker Rex retained the original name of the Dress Circle Estate and named the streets according to a theatrical theme. Some of the greatest Australian stars of stage and screen are commemorated in the street names of East Ryde.



Address:Sager Place, Heatly Reserve, East Ryde, 2113
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -33.809772
Long: 151.132325
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map


Monument Type:Fountain
Monument Theme:Technology


Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 1st October, 1960
Front Inscription

       EAST RYDE

This Fountain Was Erected
By Hooker - Rex Pty Limited 
To Commemorate 
The Successful Development
Of 500 Home Sites And The
Construction Of 250 Modern
Homes In Co-Operation With
Ryde Municipal Council.

Unveiled by
His Worship The Mayor
Alderman E.L.S Hall
1st October 1960.

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design