Miner`s StatuePrint Page
Statue acknowledges the important contribution to the town made by thousands of mining employees and their families.
Copper was discovered at Cobar in 1869 and extraction commenced at the site of the Great Cobar mine and the first load of ore was despatched via Louth in 1871. Since then many other deposits and prospects have been found. Mining has produced major amounts of copper, lead, zinc, silver and gold plus minor quantities of by-products such as cadmium and antimony. More recent developments include the opening of the new, deep CSA mine in 1965, the discovery of Elura in 1973, and the commissioning of The Peak. Discoveries are ongoing.
|Address:||Barrier Highway, Cobar, 2835|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.497494|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Terrance Plowright|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||2001|