Line of Lode MemorialPrint Page
The Line of Lode Miner’s Memorial is an icon for Broken Hill and the mining industry. It is also a symbolic and spiritual representation of the human tragedy of more than 800 deaths since mining commenced in Broken Hill in 1883. The Line of Lode is the ore body that bisects the town.
The first death on the memorial is attributed to lead poisoning. Miners were paid a lead bonus. Supposedly this was a scheme to help them share in the wealth they produced. But, according to others who had to live with the miners diseased and damaged by underground work, the bonus was also a covert way to help produce insurance without admitting liability. The payment was introduced in the days before social welfare. So when a miner died from the effects of his work practices, his family would have some capital on which they could live
|Address:||Federation Way, Broken Hill, 2880|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -31.962222|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Monument Designer:||Angus Barron, Steve Kelly & Dario Palumbo|
|Actual Monument Dedication Date:||Saturday 21st April, 2001|
The Miner`s Memorial
dedicated to those who gave
the ultimate sacrifice
to the city of Broken Hill
Officially opened by
The Deputy Prime Minister
The Honouralble John Anderson MP
Saturday 21st April, 2001
This project is supported by the
through the Federation Fund
Line of Lode 1991 -2001
The Past A Federation Fund Project
A Commonwealth Government Initiative
THE RED FLAG.
The red flag signifies the blood spilt by the worker who had lost his life on The Line of Lode, together with the solidarity and socialism of his early union pioneer workmates, their struggle for industrial justice and safer working conditions.
THE BLACK FLAG.
The black flag, symbolising death, was flown from atop the Trades Hall to alert the populace of a unionist fatality amongst the mining workforce, often resulting in a crowd gathering at the Trades Hall as people sought details of the tragedy.