www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of the Opening of the Iron BridgePrint Page Print this page

15-August-2014
15-August-2014

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown

The plaque erected by the Boggabri Historical Society commemorates the centenary of the opening of the iron bridge on the Namoi River.

The Iron Bridge across the Namoi River near Boggabri was built in 1885 and is considered to be a good example of iron lattice truss bridges being built at that time. The main span is 39 metres long; total length is 131 metres. The iron was imported from England, the design was by Department of Public Works bridge engineer John A McDonald who designed several similar iron bridges for New South Wales between 1881 and 1893.

Location

Address:Brent & Merton Streets, Vickery Park , Boggabri, 2382
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -30.705909
Long: 150.044264
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1885
Approx. Event End Date:1995

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 12th October, 1985
Front Inscription

1985

Centenary of the opening of the Iron Bridge over the Namoi River on the Manilla Road at Boggabri

Erected by Historical Society

Source: H, MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design