Batemans Bay Bridge WorkersPrint Page
A monument commemorates the efforts of the workmen who contributed to the construction of the Batemans Bay bridge, which marked its 50th anniversary in 2006. It also pays tribute to foreman Bob Davis.
The bridge built by the Department of Main Roads over the Clyde River at Bateman's Bay was officially opened for traffic by the Hon. J. B. Renshaw, M.L.A., Minister for Local Government and Minister for Highways, on 21st November, 1956. The bridge replaced the only remaining vehicular ferry on the Prince's Highway between Sydney and the Victorian border.
The bridge comprises five steel truss spans each 120 feet, a steel truss vertical lift span 94 feet 6 inches in length, four steel plate girder spans each 62 feet long, and decked abutment structures at each end. The lift span when open gives a clear channel width of 75 feet for the passage of shipping. The overall length of the bridge is 1008 feet, the carriageway is 22 feet wide and a footway 5 feet wide has been provided on the downstream side.
|Address:||Princes Highway & Clyde Street, Eastern side of Batemans Bay bridge, Batemans Bay, 2536|
|GPS Coordinates:||Lat: -35.703455|
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
|Approx. Monument Dedication Date:||November-2008|
BATEMANS BAY BRIDGE
Constructed By Department Of
Main Roads 1951 - 1956
This Plaque Is Dedicated To All The Workers
Involved With The Construction Of
The Batemas Bay Bridge
Through Their Expertise And Efforts They
Provided A Vital Community Link Across
Bob Davis The Lone Hard Hat Diver
For The Bridge Construction
Accomplished Sinking 16 Steel
Casings Into The River Bed For
As Foreman, He Was Involved With
All Aspects Of Construction And
Was Always There For His Men.
"With The Help Of A Lot Of Good Men"
He Passed Away On The 27 Dec 2007.