www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Mittagong RailwayPrint Page Print this page

13-November-2018 (Dave Rave)
13-November-2018 (Dave Rave)

Photographs supplied by Sandra Brown / Dave Rave

The monument commemorates the centenary of the Mittagong Railway from 1867 to 1967. The station opened on the 1st March 1867.

By the second half of the 19th Century, in the colony of New South Wales, the Great Southern Railway that ran from Sydney to Picton had become totally inadequate. Settlement was spreading south beyond Goulburn and valuable natural resources such as marble and sandstone, coal and shale, as well as timber and farm produce had to be carted to Sydney by bullock wagons over difficult terrain on roads that were at times barely passable. For people travelling the journey was tedious, slow, uncomfortable and often downright dangerous. 

In 1863 the Colonial government decided to extend the railway southwards, to include Mittagong, Bowral, Moss Vale and Marulan, and to then terminate at Goulburn. 

Under the direction of Engineer-in-Chief John Whitton, the work was completed in 1869, giving a total distance from Sydney to Goulburn of approximately 224 kilometres.

Location

Address:Regent Street, Mittagong Railway Station, Mittagong, 2575
State:NSW
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -34.452426
Long: 150.448479
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Monument
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Actual Event STart Date:01-March-1867
Actual Event End Date:01-March-1967

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 4th March, 1967
Front Inscription

Mittagong Railway Centenary

1867 - 1967

Unveiled by the Hon. T. L. Lewis M.L.A. Minister for Mines

4. 3. 67.

Source: MA,H
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design