www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Historic Engineering Marker - Wallangarra Railway StationPrint Page Print this page

16-September-2018
16-September-2018

Photographs supplied by Russell Byers

The Historic Engineering plaque commemorates the Wallangarra Railway Station.

The Institution of Engineers Australia, through its Heritage Committees, established the Australian Historic Engineering Plaquing Program to acknowledge past engineering achievements and to draw public attention to the significant contributions they have made to society.

The Plaquing Program is a means of bringing public recognition to significant historic engineering works and the engineers who created them. The Program is intended to contribute to the conservation of Australian engineering heritage.

Location

Address:Rockwell & Border Streets, Wallangarra Railway Station, Wallangarra, 4383
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -28.923546
Long: 151.931746
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Plaque
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry

Dedication

Approx. Monument Dedication Date:2001
Front Inscription

Historic Engineering Marker

Wallangarra Railway Station

This interchange was opened in 1887 to link the different railway gauges adopted by Queensland and NSW.  The Chief Engineers of the respective railway systems were Henry Stanley and John Whitton.

Queensland narrow-gauge trains used the western side of the station and NSW standard-gauge trains the eastern.

The passenger station is in Wallangarra QLD and the goods facilities (now demolished) were in Jennings NSW.  The value of the interchange declined with the opening of a standard-gauge link through Kyogle in 1930.

Dedicated by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, Queensland Rail and Border Highlands Rail Company Pty Ltd

2001 - Centenary of Federation

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design