www.monumentaustralia.org.au

Centenary of Eidsvold GoldfieldsPrint Page Print this page

08-February-2017
08-February-2017

Photographs supplied by John Huth

The Centenary Gardens commemorate the centenary of the Eidsvold goldfields from 1887 to 1987.

The town of Eidsvold was established as a mining town in the late 1880s. Gold was discovered in the region as early as the 1850s, but mining did not occur on a large scale until 1886, after the discovery of the Mount Rose reef. The field developed quickly and consisted of a number of individual mines, including Mount Rose, Junction, Lady Augusta, The Minerva and Bonanza. The town of Eidsvold was established below the field, although it was named after Eidsvold Station, established by Thomas Archer in 1848. By the late 1880s, the town’s population, including miners, was close to 2000. The mining boom was short-lived however; gold production steadily fell up to 1900. Sporadic mining has continued on the field since this time, including the re-mining of the former Mount Rose Battery site. 

Location

Address:Burnett Highway, Centenary Gardens, Eidsvold, 4627
State:QLD
Area:AUS
GPS Coordinates:Lat: -25.372431
Long: 151.125626
Note: GPS Coordinates are approximate.
View Google Map

Details

Monument Type:Garden
Monument Theme:Technology
Sub-Theme:Industry
Approx. Event Start Date:1887
Approx. Event End Date:1987

Dedication

Actual Monument Dedication Date:Saturday 21st November, 1987
Front Inscription

Plaque :

CENTENARY GARDENS

These Gardens Commemorate The Centenary Of
The Eidsvold goldfields

1887 - 1987

Named by
The Hon. Neville Harper, M. L. A.
Minister For Primary Industries
And Member For Auburn

21st November, 1987

Source: MA
Monument details supplied by Monument Australia - www.monumentaustralia.org.au
Proudly sponsored by UBC Web Design